Steam to display PlayStation controller-compatible games.

Steam to display PlayStation controller-compatible games.

Embracing the Sony Experience: Steam Store to Showcase DualSense and DualShock Support

In an exciting move for gamers, Valve has announced that the Steam store will soon include information on whether a game supports Sony’s DualSense or DualShock controllers. This step, scheduled to go live in October, aims to make it easier for players to find games that are compatible with these popular PlayStation controllers. But that’s not all – Valve has also hinted that more controller-friendly features could be on their way to Steam.

Developers using Valve’s game creation tools, Steamworks, will now have access to a new questionnaire. This survey allows them to specify whether their game offers full or partial support for Xbox, DualShock, and DualSense controllers. As a result, players will be able to filter games based on their preferred controller type, making it much more convenient to find the perfect gaming experience.

To provide even more useful information to players, Valve will also display each PlayStation controller’s usage level. This feature will help gamers learn which gamepads are most commonly used by the Steam community. With this knowledge, players can make more informed decisions when choosing their next game and controller.

Valve’s decision to prioritize PlayStation controller support stems from the growing numbers of players opting for these devices. In fact, Sony controller usage on Steam has experienced a significant increase, rising from 11 percent of gaming sessions in 2018 to an impressive 27 percent today. Moreover, Valve reveals that since 2017, over 87 million Steam users have played at least once using a controller. Of this vast group, 69 percent have used some version of Xbox controllers, while the remaining 31 percent have utilized a variety of controllers such as PlayStation controllers, Switch Pro Controllers, and countless other devices.

This move by Valve not only acknowledges the popularity of Sony controllers but also demonstrates the company’s commitment to enhancing the gaming experience for Steam users. By actively providing detailed information about controller compatibility, Valve empowers users to make informed decisions and ensures they have a seamless and enjoyable gaming experience.

With the expansion of controller-friendly features on Steam, both developers and players stand to benefit. Developers can drive more engagement by catering to a wider range of controller options, thus attracting players who prefer the Sony experience. Players, on the other hand, gain access to a broader selection of games that perfectly match their preferred controller type. Additionally, Valve’s commitment to supporting a variety of controllers showcases the company’s dedication to inclusivity and providing the best possible experience for all gamers.

As October approaches, gamers are eagerly awaiting the launch of the new Steam store feature. With the ability to easily find games that support Sony’s DualSense and DualShock controllers, players can look forward to a more personalized and immersive gaming experience. Valve’s dedication to enhancing controller compatibility on Steam is undoubtedly a win for the gaming community as a whole. So, to all the Sony controller enthusiasts out there – get ready to embrace the Sony experience on Steam like never before!