Intel’s comeback spells trouble for AMD.

Intel's comeback spells trouble for AMD.

Intel’s CPU Market Share Bouncing Back with Big Gains

Image Source: Jacob Roach / ENBLE

The client CPU market has been going through a challenging period, but there is a glimmer of hope on the horizon. According to the latest market research from Jon Peddie Research, Intel is making significant gains in market share, while AMD is experiencing a decline.

The overall PC market has seen a slump after the pandemic-induced surge in demand. With the state of the world economy impacting CPU and GPU sales, it has been a tough time for Intel. The company recently faced its biggest loss in history, with $2.8 billion in the first quarter of 2023. However, there is some positive news when it comes to shipments.

In the second quarter of 2023, the number of CPU units shipped saw a significant increase from the previous quarter. Shipments rose from 46 million units to 53.6 million, marking a 17% increase. While this growth is good news for Intel, it also affects AMD as these figures represent all CPU shipments.

Unsurprisingly, the laptop market continues to dominate, accounting for 72% of overall CPU share, with mobile processors leading the way. Desktop CPUs make up the remaining 28%. Integrated GPU shipments also saw a 14% increase, which is not surprising considering many processors now come with an integrated graphics unit.

Image Source: Jon Peddie Research

Comparing Intel and AMD, Intel experienced a 23% increase in its CPU market share quarter-to-quarter, while AMD saw a decline of 5.3%. However, looking at the year-on-year numbers paints a less rosy picture. Client-based processor shipments dropped by 23%, with desktop chips seeing a 25% decline and laptop CPUs dropping by 22%.

It’s important to note that these numbers represent CPU shipments, not sales. In terms of sales, AMD recently achieved a big win in the German market, surpassing Intel with its Ryzen desktop CPUs. However, determining the global scale of the competition is challenging, as accurate sales figures are scarce and infrequent. Nevertheless, it’s no secret that AMD has gained recognition for producing some of the best processors, particularly favored by gamers.

Looking ahead, it remains to be seen whether Intel’s market share will continue to increase. While AMD won’t be releasing Zen 5 CPUs for at least another year, Intel is rumored to release a Raptor Lake refresh soon, followed by Meteor Lake chips for laptops. On the other hand, AMD is extending its presence in the mobile segment with Phoenix APUs and Dragon Range CPUs. There is also the possibility of AMD introducing lower-end Ryzen desktop chips. The lead currently belongs to Intel, but the dynamics could change by the start of 2024.

In conclusion, Intel is seeing a rebound in its CPU market share, with significant gains in the last quarter. However, the broader market conditions, including the impact of global economic factors, should be considered. The rivalry between Intel and AMD continues to shape the landscape of the CPU market, with both companies vying for dominance and innovation. As technology enthusiasts, we eagerly anticipate the next chapter in this ongoing saga.